Wednesday 16 April 2008

Dick Turpin



Murders, serial killers and criminals of all descriptions fascinate me and have since I was very small. One of the most famous highwaymen of all time was Dick Turpin.

I started research for Dick and found that most of the legend that we accept as true is actually factually incorrect. Turpin may have rode a horse named Black Bess but he would not have died to protect her (which is one of the legends), he actually may have worked her so hard that she died of exhaustion!
Harrison Ainsworth wrote and published a book about the life of Richard Turpin. This story quickly became legend.

The following website contains more information about Turpin and helps to explain what is true and what is false:

http://www.stand-and-deliver.org.uk/highwaymen/dick_turpin.htm





Most of the beliefs we hold about Turpin are in fact made up, a legend grew around a man who in essence was a thief, bully and murderer.



The reason I am so interested in people like this is that I believe we all have the potential to commit brutal crimes and I want to know what happens to push some people far enough to commit the crime.


Still I will be fascinated by this man and many others like him. If that disturbs anyone I apologize!!!

No comments: